Occasionally, we do get calls from our clients who have been contacted by a particular customer that is unable to participate in their short code marketing services. There are essentially five reasons why somebody wouldn’t be able to participate with short codes.
- The short code aggregator has not linked up with the carrier.
- The carrier does not participate with short codes.
- It is a prepaid phone that does not permit short code use.
- The owner has not purchased a text message package.
- There is a requested short code block on the phone. This is usually something requested by parents for their children in the past to prevent them from making premium SMS purchases such as ringtones. (Of course, premium SMS is gone now in the USA, but is alive in Canada for now.)
I use short codes to communicate with my youth baseball players. Inevitably, there is one player every year that has a short code block on his phone. It’s easy to get removed; all you have to do is make a phone call to the carrier and ask to remove it.
Here is a list of participating carriers on 84444.com.